LibreOffice is a powerful office suite that is fully compatible with 32/64-bit systems. Translated into more than 30 languages of the world. Supports most popular operating systems, including GNU/Linux, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS X. LibreOffice is a free set of programs similar in functionality to the Microsoft Office package: Writer is a word processor; Calc – spreadsheets; Impress – creating and viewing multimedia presentations; Draw – vector graphics editor; Math – editor of mathematical formulas. One of the extremely positive qualities is the ability of all these applications to work with the corresponding documents in MS Office formats.
LibreOffice has a number of interesting features that are partially or completely absent in other office suites:
- Cross-platform. Currently, LibreOffice can be used on all popular platforms: Linux (on 32-bit and 64-bit systems), Windows (2000 and later), MacOS, FreeBSD, and Solaris.
- Tools that make it easy to create, edit and manage documents:
- gallery for inserting images;
- navigator for moving around the document and searching;
- stylist to create, edit and manage document formatting styles;
- data sources for importing data from databases or spreadsheets.
- Support for MS Office formats. You can easily open and save documents in MS Office 97-2003 formats. It also supports importing files in Office OpenXML format (MS Office 2007).
- Export to PDF. Export to this format is supported from all components (except Base). With a special extension, it is also possible to import PDF into LibreOffice Draw.
- Extension support. LibreOffice provides the ability to develop independent third-party extensions that provide additional functionality to the end user. Extensions are easy to install and remove.
Composition of LibreOffice:
- LibreOffice consists of six program components:
- text editor and web page editor Writer;
- spreadsheet editor Calc;
- tool for creating and demonstrating Impress presentations;
- vector editor Draw;
- database management system Base;
- editor for creating and editing Math formulas.
- All components are integrated into a common core and thus have good compatibility with each other.
- The functionality of all components provides all the necessary tools and allows you to solve the main tasks of the user. To store the results of the work, the ODF file format (ISO / IEC 26300:2006), based on XML and received the status of an international standard, is used.